Motor over heated, wont start now

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:49 PM

SexyRocketRider is an unknown quantity at this point
Motor over heated, wont start now

motor over heated yesterday, now it wont start. the head is not cracked, and the pistons will compress. i turn the key on and hit the start button, the solnoid just clicks at me. and the motor wont turn over at all. im stumped...im thinkin i mihgt have burnt out the start motor, so thats next on the list to test. any ideas????
Old 08-21-2003, 03:56 PM

-Eric- is an unknown quantity at this point
if the celenoid just clicks and it wont crank, id check the battery. you may have enough juice to turn the lights on but not to crank the motor. if the battery is ok, then move on to the starter.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:58 PM

Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
2 times you'll have battery problems....when it's really cold, and when it's really hot!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:19 PM

the battery is good, same with the starter *shrugs* im all outta ideas now
Old 08-21-2003, 06:11 PM

ok lets say the motor is sezized..am i totaly ****ed??? or is there a chance if i tear it down i might be able to save it?
Old 08-21-2003, 07:16 PM

gixxer750rider will become famous soon enough
a couple of months ago i did a burnout overheated my engine and then she died i tried everything finally i gave up and bought a new engine
Old 08-21-2003, 07:38 PM

Ridin Disorder is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd try replacing the battery...for some reason overheating the battery gets drained whether it is from leaving the key on so that the fan stays on or not but i would start there...i know you have suzuki but honda f4i's are known for that problem
Old 08-21-2003, 07:38 PM

try pop starting it
Old 08-21-2003, 07:48 PM

riding...if it was the battery, id be able to start it off a battery charger. i cant do that. it just clicks at me. it willnot crank so tryin to pop start it wont work
Old 08-21-2003, 09:52 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

thewibb is an unknown quantity at this point
NO you wouldn't be able to start it off the battery charger. I have seen bike batteries so dead that they mess with timing. I would DEFINITELY get another battery. You are wasting your time trying to start it off a charger if your battery is toast, chances are you got the battery WAY too hot. I can almost guarantee a new battery will do the trick, hard to sieze a motor unless your doing something bad wrong. You would have really had to overheat it to the point u had no oil left ect. Good Luck, don't give up so soon.

P.S. Pop starting may work... if you get a big enough hill, and 99% likelihood, if you get it started it will run like ish, it will backfire(timing), sputter, etc. Thats because the battery is dead! That would be a definite way to find out if it is your battery. The clicking with the charger is NORMAL with a VERY drained battery, it can't be recharged.

Curt
Old 08-21-2003, 10:08 PM

Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Test the battery with a voltmeter. I got one from Radio Shack for like $10. With the key on it should read 13+ I think. Are your lights coming on ok?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:07 PM

ENASNI TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Even if the lights work it doesnt meen the battery is fine. Just pick up a new battery if it works great if not you have a new battery for ur new engine
Old 08-21-2003, 11:15 PM

grrrr.....ill have to see how much a battery is goin to run me....damn it...and i just spent 300 bucks on the taxs for this thing to get the title
Old 08-22-2003, 10:46 AM

you would be able to pop start it like thewibb said...that would def tell you if the motor was locked up or not b/c even if it doesn't start it will still turn over. I work at bike shop and i have seen many bikes that the battery is just so junk that it won't start period unless you put in a new one
Old 08-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
When you say it overheated, how bad? What was the temp? Pop starting it is the way to go right now. If you have enough juice in the battery for the lights to come on and the headlight isnt dim it will run. Get somebody that weighs over 200 pounds to do it, throw it in 3rd or 4th gear, push it up to speed and bounce down when you let the clutch out. If the back tire just skids you engine is locked up. I have been able to *un* seize locked up motors doing this, but it will have a nasty rod knock and the engine will need to be replaced but at least you will know whats up. Bring that **** to texas and I will rebuild it for free if thats what the problem is.. Just buy the parts.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:49 PM

Brian425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble; but, it sounds like it's blown up. Take out all the spark plugs, put it in neutral on a stand and try to turn the rear tire. It should spin fairly easy as there is no compression now. If it will not turn, the motor is blown up. Do not was $50 on a battery until you try this test.

If it's blown up, just buy another motor and put it in. It's a full day job but it is very possible to do at home. I just did one on a 98 750 this summer.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Brian425
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble; but, it sounds like it's blown up. Take out all the spark plugs, put it in neutral on a stand and try to turn the rear tire. It should spin fairly easy as there is no compression now. If it will not turn, the motor is blown up. Do not was $50 on a battery until you try this test.

If it's blown up, just buy another motor and put it in. It's a full day job but it is very possible to do at home. I just did one on a 98 750 this summer.
I agree. I have seen lots of blown up motors and this one sounds blown up. What Brian425 said to do is probably the easiest way to find out for sure. However, after you have pulled the plugs and put the bike on a stand, you have to have the bike IN gear when rotating the rear tire in order to attempt to turn the engine over. If it is in neutral, it isnt going to do anything. If the rear tire will not turn while in gear, on a centerstand with the sparkplugs taken out, the motor is toast. It will spin in neutral regardless.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:55 PM

Brian425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry LB, I was a litte brain dead. Of course it must be in gear.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:45 PM
*****SL.COM OG*****

TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Try hooking up jumper cables from a vehicle that isnt running..
next try popstarting .. easier with a big guy...
next try the stand idea... put in a high gear and spin the rear tire.. should hear the motor turn over
check fluids... oil should be dark.. black like.. check the window or pull plug for a second.. if its white or milky u have oil or antifreeze in it..

after that i think your sol ..

y did it overheat ? is this bike new to u ? how many miles ?
Old 08-22-2003, 07:43 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

thewibb is an unknown quantity at this point
I still say try the battery, u have to have a friend that will let you use their battery for 2 mins. 2 screws is a helluva lot easier than stands, plugs, ect. Or popstart it. It doesn't take many amps to turn the lights on and if that battery is dead it will click all day. Tiller is right, the tire will just skid if it's locked up. Is there still oil in it? Can u see it?? If so I doubt the motor is locked up, highly unlikely.

Curt

Quick Reply: Motor over heated, wont start now