more of a riding question than stunting

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:21 PM

boner is an unknown quantity at this point
more of a riding question than stunting

i need some tips on how to take turns quicker. i wanna start droppin my knees!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:32 PM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point
practice!!!

i still cant corner really good. My chicken strip is totally off the left side, But my right side huge. I dont like right hand corners.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:10 PM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Most people prefer left to right turns because you have to steer with your right hand and operate the throttle at the same time. You get used to over time and you will eventually be comfortable with both. The first time I dragged knee was on a right turn, in fact.

You don't have to drag knee to be fast. All you're going to do by trying to do it is crashbecause you'll be paying more attention to dragging your knee than actually riding.

Practice your body positioning. *** off the seat a bit, knee out, chest straight -- don't wrap your body around the tank. Outside leg should be against the tank and you want to keep your weight on the outside peg. Look way through the turn.

Your knee will hit when it's ready, don't force it.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:16 PM

usualsuspects is an unknown quantity at this point
a few quick tips are instead of leaning if you want to go right push on the grip kind of outward it gives it a quicker dip and push pressure on the oppiste peg to keep the bike stable. the quickest way to learn turns is keep runing from the cops....
Old 07-27-2003, 02:06 AM

jethro426 is an unknown quantity at this point
ride with fast riders. Watching their body position will help you and you also will be forced to corner faster to keep up. Trust your tires they will hold on more so than you think and las thing is to be smooth. Brake early and be smooth on the gas through the corner, happy riding.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:13 AM

BullFlexx is an unknown quantity at this point
For sure, im a 1st year rider, and i ride with a 5 year vetrin. Its a challange to keep up, but i now finding my self riding more aggressively around those long curvey roads. do what i did, find a nice curve, off ramp or on ramp, something safe and not too sharp, try takin it at a slow speed, and everytime you take it try to go faster. Practice makes perfect. its all the same basic concept, get the bike to lean smoothly, work on the speed later. adn have faith in your tires, they handle a buk load more than you think
Old 07-28-2003, 01:49 PM

Randy is an unknown quantity at this point
rQUOTE]ride with fast riders. Watching their body position will help you and you also will be forced to corner faster to keep up. Trust your tires they will hold on more so than you think and las thing is to be smooth. Brake early and be smooth on the gas through the corner, happy riding.[/QUOTE]

great tip! thats the only way to get better at anything imo. is to ride with people better than you.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:43 PM

929freak is an unknown quantity at this point
By far the best way to get fast is to ride with people who are fast,just don't try to hard you'll eventualy get it,you'll just click.no one goes fast right away (unless your name is Valentino Rossi)also the best thing you can do is sign up for a track day,don't be intimidated everyone there was a newbie at one point
Old 07-28-2003, 11:36 PM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by usualsuspects
a few quick tips are instead of leaning if you want to go right push on the grip kind of outward it gives it a quicker dip and push pressure on the oppiste peg to keep the bike stable. the quickest way to learn turns is keep runing from the cops....
That's not a tip, that's basic riding skill. It's called countersteering.

Also, I don't suggest trying to keep up with faster riders. That's how you're going to crash. You need to ride at your own pace. Having someone that knows the road ahead of you can help, but don't try to hang with them. All that's going to happen is that you'll end up with bad riding technique from trying too hard to keep up without paying attention to your technique... and crashing.

I'm not saying you shouldn't push your limits a little, but you definitely need to ride your own ride.