90' gxsr750 backfiring......??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:06 AM

BlueCeez is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 90' gxsr750 backfiring......??

I have an older model Gxsr 750 ( 90' ), and I recently put another jet kit ( carb ) on it about a month and half ago. Now its starting to back fire while rollin on freeway and just about threw all gears of acceleration. I changed the plugs, caps, and even coils. But its still back firing. At this point I feel the shop that put the Carb kit on should warranty ( excuse spelling ) their work, am I right..??
But I also have a gut feeling they may be scamming me for money.
The only other options I know of that may be making it backfire, is either electrical, or carb clogged. Does ANYONE have anymore suggestions they can possibly give me, or can refer me to a decent Mechanic in Southern Cali ( between Irvine and North San Diego )....??
Old 07-03-2003, 07:09 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

RR_Rick is a decent person
did it run ok before the jet kit? how many miles on the bike?
Old 07-03-2003, 09:55 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Probably not it, but.... I used to have a backfiring prob with my katana. I rebuilt the carbs, tried everything. It turned out that my run/off switch had a loose connection inside and Just turning on and off would fix the problem.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:59 AM

yeah..its was running good, and it had a carb kit already installed.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:02 AM

Mike M. - I'll check the on / off switch, thanks. But I don't think that would make it backfire. Well no matter what, it'll be in the shop monday morning. Have a safe weekend fellaz..
Old 07-04-2003, 10:50 AM

jw7/11 is an unknown quantity at this point
carbs

something wrong with the carbs! i would say they got them set to rich and try some different jets!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:42 PM

Thanks JW..I'll look into it.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:25 AM

MISANTHROPE is an unknown quantity at this point
I doubt it's the carbs it sounds like an ignition problem. I don't know of any carburation problem that would result in a backfire except on deceleration which is most likely a vacuum issue. I'd check all your connections for loose wires as well as your ignition sending unit. If you have a shop that you can trust have them run a diagnostic on the safety switches also. Chech the kickstand safety switch as well they *** up all the time.