I am requesting maximum response please. Little bit long (s

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:49 PM

SuperTrooper is an unknown quantity at this point
I am requesting maximum response please. Little bit long (s

I have a COCKY COCKy co-worker/friend (TJ) that just picked up a 99 gsxr 600. Rather than talk about him, I will get right to the meat of the subject. Last night while taking a break from work...Another friend of mine who just picked up a 03 gsxr600 were discussing when we were going to take the MSF course. In the middle of the conversation, TJ says "what are you guys going to do" and so we explained to him about MSF and what they offer. We ask him if he would like to join us in taking the course. He states, "Why would I pay 200 for something I already know how to do" (ride a bike) Keep in mind this is his first bike and he has had it for no more than 4 months. We go on to tell them its not so much how to learn to ride, rather safety course etc...and to get the license. He states,"I already have a license, and I ride fine." We mention to him that he failed the first time taking the bike exam, he counters with, well I had 5 chances and I past on the 2nd try. He goes on to say that he dosent' take corners at 100+ and do stunts etc...finally he says, "if I get into a wreck and I live, I will take the course..if its my fault"

You can all see where I am going with this. He thinks he is too good for anything and the best at everything, so there is no winning when talking to him. I just would love to hear what you all have to say about these types of riders that ride around with this type of mentality. I told him that I would post our conversation on all the boards and he gave me a cocky reply (expected). If you are one of these people, please reply as well, so I can hear both sides. But regardless, I am taking the MSF course for my own sense of security.
Thanks...
Old 04-16-2003, 06:58 PM

Radguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never taken the MSF course. But that's only because it's not offer locally.

But from what I hear about it, it's good for everyone. Not just good for experience but also good for insurance rates.

Old 04-16-2003, 07:04 PM

Princess600 is an unknown quantity at this point
I give you props for sticking to your plan of taking the MSF course. There was this one guy that use to ride with our group and he was so cocky about the way he rode and almost ran some of us off the road a few times trying to stunt in our same lane. I refused to ride with him, I made it known to him that he was not a good of a rider as he thought he was. Needless to say that he doesn't talk to me anymore nor will he ride with our group when I am around. Call me a big meanie but I prefer to ride safe and ride with safe riders. If I were you, I would just ignore him and let him do his own thing. At least you tried to talk some sense into him and you are doing the right thing.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice
taking the msf course helps but the instructors get a little upset when you start rolling out endos during braking exercises
Old 04-17-2003, 03:30 AM

BANDIT is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to take it when my friend gets his next bike. We have been planning on taking it for the past four years but never got around to it.

They say it helps riders of all skill levels, no many how many years you have been riding. Not to mention like Radguy said, insurance. Knowing most of us have a few insurance points.

Your associate is an dip. I belive I would be wary of riding around him with that type of attitude.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Zerocool95 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to help teach the MRC here in Illinios (same as MSF). I had students from all ages, 16-64. Rarely did anyone say they didn't learn something new. As a matter of fact, it was very gratifying when the ones who had been riding for 20 years come up to you at the end and thank you cuz they learned things they never knew all the time they had been riding. I don't claim to be the best at anything, but you give me someone who hasn't taken the course and have a compition on swerving to avoid objects or braking (without the endo), and I'm willing to bet I'll beat most. The course can make a difference. Hope this helps.

Lata,
Zero
Old 04-17-2003, 04:02 PM

Badabling is an unknown quantity at this point
I took a similar course up here in Vermont a couple years ago when I first started riding. The NightHawk 250 they provided was a deffinate change compared to my TLR that I was riding. However I did learn a lot of things that I use to this day everytime I ride. It does help out on the insurance scene too, which as we all know any little discount can help!
I would recomend every rider take the course reguardless of their experience and attitude.

Curtis
Old 04-17-2003, 04:40 PM

SPINE is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Free in Illinois

I took the course here in Chicago and I am glad I did. I also ride with a group of guys that haven't takent he course. Well in the past year this guy got a bike and all he did was brag about how he was goin to "bling bling" his bike. Well he went down last year and broke both his arms and his legs and he had internal injuries, no course taken. This year a guy I know and his buddy both got '02 R1's. His buddy rode before but he hasn't. So the guy I know dumped his bike once already, I was successful at getting him to buy a helmet and a jacket.

I think the course is worthwhile but when you have these guys that think they are "invincible" they rely on their ego to help them avoid any accidents or just think they will never get into one.

I myself haven't been in any accidents because I ride like EVERYONE is out to hit me, even other riders. I know people that have been hit by other riders and they didn't take the course, or else they'd know about riding in your section of the lane and following distance.

Anyway here in Illinois they only ask for $20 to hold your spot and at the end of the course they say you could take your money back or donate it for the maintenance, gas, etc. for the bikes. This guy dumped like 3 bikes when I took it so everyone pitifully donated the $20. Hey it was nice of them to have the bikes and give us the course. I got my little certificate and avoided all the at the DMV.

Enough of my rambling... take the course because you can be a great rider but you have to watch out for others!

Last edited by SPINE; 04-17-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:45 PM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Let him be

Let go ahead and do what he wants to do but when he busts his **** he'll learn
Old 04-17-2003, 04:51 PM

melampus is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Supertrooper...

Firstly, TJ sounds like a putz. Why do you befriend him? Regardless, why do you spend the $200 he asks. How about the 15% insurance discount? In one year the $200 investment is MAKING him money. Knowing his personality though he'll just say "A lot of good of good a discount on a payment I don't have will do me!" He sounds like he'd appreciate that there is usually a hottie or two that he can hit on in the class. I took the course as required by law here in Florida after already riding for 4 years, and I learned that #1- The instructors don't like when they can hear you & your F2 before they can see you #2- You better take some classes in patience as you have to wait 20 minutes for the 65 year old lady who is getting the license to just to say she did it to finish the obstacle that you just flew through before you can move on to the next #3- Can you say 90 degree weather SUCKS while sitting on an idling air-cooled 250 in full gear #4- This really cool trick for dressers of which I don't & most probably never will own where if it falls to pick it up you just turn the clip ons to lock, grab the front brake and slightly clutch 1st gear. The bike just stands right up. Really cool, I thought.
Oh yeah, I got this really cool sticker that I put on my helmet saying, " In case of accident, don't remove helmet in case of a neck injury."
Old 04-17-2003, 06:30 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
Re: I am requesting maximum response please. Little bit long (s

Originally posted by SuperTrooper
But regardless, I am taking the MSF course for my own sense of security.
Thanks...
Smart man. Ive been riding for about 1.5 years. My brother took the course - never rode a bike in his life. He actually taught me something that I use every day now. So the course is a good idea man. Let that dill hole crash from inexperience & F up his new bike.

good luck

:YEAH
Old 04-17-2003, 08:31 PM

GIXXER1716 is an unknown quantity at this point
YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY AND AS FOR TJ I DONT RIDE WITH PEOPLE WITH YOUR VIEW OF RIDING SKILLS... THE MSF COURSE WILL TEACH YOU SOMETHING THAT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE AT LEAST ONCE WHY CRASH AT ALL IF YOU DONT HAVE TO?
Old 04-18-2003, 05:31 PM

Boughetto is an unknown quantity at this point
I took the MSF course bc I had no previous experience on a bike, and its the easiest way to get a license. I think its beneficial for everyone, hell, it cant hurt to take it! Sure its $200, but it is so worth it
Old 04-18-2003, 08:42 PM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point
the only reason i would take the course here is because it makes your insurance lower,,,,,,but wait, i dont have insurance! so i would never pay, to take that damn course.,
Old 04-21-2003, 04:39 PM

Whoshotya is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i know a guy like that too. he swears up and down that he can out ride this guy, fix bikes better then that guy, beat up some other guy, etc.. this guy is also totally unable to accept the blame for anything that goes wrong in his life. he's so much better then everyone else how could anything possibly be his fault? i avoid these kind of ppl at all costs. f-em and everyone that looks like 'em. there is always someone bigger, bettter, stronger, faster, and smarter then you. and the MSF instructor is probably one of them.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:07 PM

DASH is an unknown quantity at this point
I myself took the MSF course in PA where they offer it for free! Because just that it was FREE and then come to find out they hey to teach you all kinds of stuff the I use when I'M NOT EVEN ON THE BIKE!

I've been down twice once due to cold tires and the other do to being a squid never really hurt too bad on either fall but I learned what not to do and how to try and avoid going down again.

there are many different Pro's to taking it though #1 insurance discounts most if not all of us are getting RAPED by the INS co do to the "type" of bike we ride...

Hell I even have my Fiance enrolled in the class AS I TYPE THIS she is learning how to ride and she has never riden the bike and I hope to get a bike for her in the next few weeks. It is funny I took the class about 2 years ago and I sat in on part of one of her calsses and it was like DAMN they told me about this and I never really thought about it till I heard then tell all the newbies in her class.....

dont think of it as having to pay a few hundred bucks to get your motorcycle endorsement think about it as a mental invest ment in skills on how to ride and ride well.....

**end rant**

Hope this helps your friend help to himself!
Old 04-24-2003, 07:42 PM

Laura Freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
I started learning on my own back in 95. I didn't even know at the time that there was a MSF course. So I took it day by day. And then finally went to get my motorcycle endorsement and passed. Last year I wanted to take the course (because I thought it would help me in court for Reckless driving(wheelie w/passenger), Speeding 130-150mph w/passenger, and defaced tag) Needless to say I didn't take the course because it was $200.00 and I needed that money for a lawyer. All I can say is if you have the money, Take the course, all it can do is help. I would still like to take the class one day as it may help me out one day.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:56 PM

PRESTON is an unknown quantity at this point
I will never take the course unless I have $200 and two days to blow.
I tell anyone thinking about or getting a bike to take the course.

So when the putz ask to go ride with you, tell him no.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:06 AM

Scrapyard is an unknown quantity at this point
I kinda wish I had taken it. I'm sure there's stuff I could use in the course. I have my endorsment and consider myself a pretty compotent rider but there's always more you can learn. If your "friend" is that bull headed about it, let him deal with it himself and don't bother yourself with his idiocy. It's in natures hands at that point.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:34 AM

allenr1@xtc is an unknown quantity at this point
when you get comfortable on your bike go practice one curvy road till you are very comfortable with it.. ask his to ride it with you and at the end when you stop to wait for him sa

"damn dude you suck"

worked everytime for us..

Quick Reply: I am requesting maximum response please. Little bit long (s