MMI... Is it as bad as they say it is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
MMI... Is it as bad as they say it is?

Here's the deal. I have finally decided to go with my "opening up a shop" idea. But, I want to be as knowledgeable about bikes as possible. In my searching for a school to teach me these things, I came across MMI. It seemed pretty sweet. Almost perfect. A manufacturer sponsored school, with hands on training and Brand specific training. Sounds like a good idea. Price is pretty steep. But I've got grants, GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, Kicker, and other financial aid to cover the better portion of the price. So it's not a major deterent. Through my hijacking of other threads (sorry about that) I have found that the school is far from what it's all cracked up to be. A joke even. While it sounds sweet, It seems that it may be sugar coated a bit. Is it?

I simply ask this. Who has been there, or knows someone who is/has attended the school? What did you think of it? Was it worth it? Did you learn what you expected? Will I be able to get a job in the field and open a reputable shop after attending the school. Me personally, I pick things up very quickly and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. So being too nervous to work on bikes won't happen. I already do it. I surround myself with people who ride and know their shyit. Plus I have all you wonderful people to look to for info . SO is it worth my time, money, and effort to attend MMI? And if not, why... and where the hell should I go? Thanks to all for you input.

Jon
Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Re: MMI... Is it as bad as they say it is?

Nobody has info?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:29 AM

flip3587 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would like to know also, 17 and have NO plans for my future (other than stunting of course)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:47 AM
squid hunter

Trick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to behold

my boy went downe there to mmi and 2 months later he was back
said he was ganna buy motorcycles mechanics for dummies "i'll learn more that way"
NO LIE
Old 12-16-2004, 11:46 AM

INeedU2Keepitup is an unknown quantity at this point

HEY FIND SMOKERING - When he's on ask him he came down from minn. to go there - he goes there now - he would be able to tell you - if you want an opinion from someone who would know. later -ashley.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 PM

stuntwood is an unknown quantity at this point

it is what u make of it, the school is good but there r alot of dummies going, the parents a rich and the send tham there, o town is the best town
Old 12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Regular StuntLifer

So basically the school isn't bad... it's the dumbasses who attend it. Joey Bonafooko with no clue about anything.. just lookin for a job, gets some financial aid and goes to MMI. Hits the Orlando party scene too hard and doesn't pay attention or pick up anything while goin to the school. Comes out as clueless as when he went in because he didn't apply himself to his studies? Am I right? If I'm going to pay that kind of cash I will be eating up every ounce of information I can get. I'm far from being uneducated or a struggling individual when it comes to education and academics. I doubt I'll have trouble interpriting and understanding the information. And I should be able to apply it just fine. I'll look up smokering. How often is he on? I'll also check out AMI. Seems like that has good reviews. Thanks for the info. And keep it commin!

Jon
Old 12-16-2004, 11:03 PM

charkly is a decent person

hey ****nut-hahaha-listen to me-im me when youre on-two of my friends go there right now-ill give you some phone numbers so you can get some real info-mike
Old 12-17-2004, 03:14 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve

MMI is a good school for that ****. In fact, the owner of Heatwave Cycles, there's an banner on here somewhere...went there, and now owns his own custom bike shop. The people saying the school sucks are obviously either stupid, or just don't like school to begin with.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Mike, hit me up with those numbers and warn them that some random dude is gonna be callin them about school haha. I'm callin them today and gettin the mean and dirty out of them like what kind of job placement I can expect and how much I'll be making. And whether or not the school is full of clueless morons or I'll be able to get a diecent education. This is the info I'm lookin for. From what I've read you have to go through the retarded 6 months of theory where they teach you all the book stuff. It IS college, so you have to expect that there will be some kind of classroom instruction involving books and slides and movies and stuff. Once you get that stuff down, then you do that hands on. Most people seem like they're getting frustrated too early and talkin **** and then leaving. Guess I'll find out.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a girl that went a few years ago and is now runnin her own bike shop and doin quite well.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Thats bitchin! .... litterally!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:28 PM

lucifer1083 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering the same, im 17 and dont really want to go to a college that doesnt have anything that im somewhat good at doing and would like to do the rest of my life. I want to go to mmi or wyotech and eventually open up a shop.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Regular StuntLifer

I would suggest going to at least a business school of some sort or taking some business related classes if you want to start your own. I'll be finishing up mine next spring. Then headed to MMI to learn the bike stuff. Thats just my .02

I PMed that "Smokering" guy twice but haven't gotten any returns. Thanks for the number mike. But, I lost it... and he wasn't there when I called. I'll have to get it off you again. If anyone else has info about the school, post away
Old 12-19-2004, 11:05 AM

wangsta6 is a decent person

you *****....
Old 12-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Nobody asked you Bobby.... but thanks for the bump.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:19 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

i knew a dude that used to ride with us that went there in FL,all he would do is sit there and talk about how unsafe our bikes are and that we should take them to the shop he worked at.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:26 PM

50ccoutlaw is an unknown quantity at this point

what are u guys talking about, no wonder why you guys think it sucks!...Its a school that teaches u how to work on bikes not how to make a fckin business!!!!go to busness school for that shyt!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:49 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to their website or call the 1-800. They will send you a brochure, its has info about what classes you need to take, stuff like Carb/FI Theory 1 & 2 etc. You learn how motors work, how suspension works etc. and the theories behind these. Not just how to turn wrenches. I was once interested, but currently am knee deep in college, but its always on my mind to go once I get enough under my belt.

Good Luck
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
DEAD BABIES SYNDICATE

danherz is a decent person

im hoping to go to AMI in the near future, its always appealed to me more then mmi,,, i visitied ami and it seems pretty good

Quick Reply: MMI... Is it as bad as they say it is?