CVBOYZ www.cvboyz.com From Vermont

shifting while wheelieing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Toxicity is an unknown quantity at this point
shifting while wheelieing

I have a yamaha blaster and im practicing wheelieing now that i just got a quad. Some people have told me that its bad to shift without clutching, is that true? other people have told me its not bad for it..just seeing what you guys would say.
thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 04:21 PM
CVBOYZ.COM

PhearCVBz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: shifting while wheelieing

Originally Posted by Toxicity
I have a yamaha blaster and im practicing wheelieing now that i just got a quad. Some people have told me that its bad to shift without clutching, is that true? other people have told me its not bad for it..just seeing what you guys would say.
thanks
I always use my clutch when shifting....I actually think it's easier to stay smooth that way.

Not using the clutch probably won't kill your quad immediatly, but I wouldn't say that it's good for it....I mean, it's there for a reason, might as well use it.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:32 PM
*****SL.COM OG*****

TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhearCVBz
I always use my clutch when shifting....I actually think it's easier to stay smooth that way.

Not using the clutch probably won't kill your quad immediatly, but I wouldn't say that it's good for it....I mean, it's there for a reason, might as well use it.

u better have front breaks!!!! u ready for sunday!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:35 PM
CVBOYZ.COM

Originally Posted by 99TILLER
u better have front breaks!!!! u ready for sunday!!!
I have more front breaks than I did before.....currently trying to find a ride down there
Old 07-14-2004, 06:52 PM

I can get it to wheelie easily in 1st or 2nd i just don't want to over rev it or sumthin. I don't know i was just seeing if it was ok not to use the clutch when wheelieing. I thought the same thing, if the clutch is on it, then it is ment to be used.
thanks for the help
Old 07-14-2004, 11:34 PM
*****SL.COM OG*****

TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhearCVBz
I have more front breaks than I did before.....currently trying to find a ride down there
u so better be here.. we got some sick as video to get.. ask Andrew!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 PM

jays warrior is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toxicity
I can get it to wheelie easily in 1st or 2nd i just don't want to over rev it or sumthin. I don't know i was just seeing if it was ok not to use the clutch when wheelieing. I thought the same thing, if the clutch is on it, then it is ment to be used.
thanks for the help
Not using the clutch won't really hurt it, just let off the gas a little when you shift. The transmissions in motorcycles and quads are constant mesh, meaning they don't have synchronizers like cars and trucks (i think), so it will go into each gear at any speed and rpms. The easiest way and quickest way to shift is to hold slight pressure on the shifter, where it almost shifts but doesn't and pull in the clutch just a hair, to where as soon as you pull it in, the pressure on the shifter will make it shift. This will shift super fast and very smooth.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:30 AM

mxquadracer is an unknown quantity at this point

actually you MUST and I mean MUST use the clutch if you don't shift at the exact right rpm. Wrong RPM and dry shift=broken case. Use your clutch
Old 07-15-2004, 08:53 AM

ajbouffard is an unknown quantity at this point

u can powershift at a certain rpm if you have a shorty lever its harder to pull in but dont powershift in a wheelie just get it on balancing point

if you want my
Old 07-15-2004, 12:50 PM

-Drew- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sclevela
um thats false.........and a lil overeactive........i shift all the time without the clutch......at alot of different speeds.......and rpms.......**** even in a wheelie at different speeds and rpms.......ive never broken a case or had any problems with my quad at all.

Agreed... I've shifted from 1st to 3rd on both the EX and XR without using the clutch. It's all about knowing your machine.... and being a professional stunt rider like myself doesn't hurt either
Old 07-15-2004, 04:48 PM

jays warrior is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not pro stunt rider, and i know my machine is blue and white (j/k) but I'm somewhat of a mechanic and know a lot of people who are. That's where I get my information. If it was so necessary to shift w/ the clutch, then why is it so easy to shift w/o? Try shifting a car at any rpms, straight from one gear to another and see how easy it is. True, you can shift a car w/o the clutch but you have to wait for the input and output rpms to match exactly before it'll go in gear.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by warrior_jay
I'm not pro stunt rider, and i know my machine is blue and white (j/k) but I'm somewhat of a mechanic and know a lot of people who are. That's where I get my information. If it was so necessary to shift w/ the clutch, then why is it so easy to shift w/o? Try shifting a car at any rpms, straight from one gear to another and see how easy it is. True, you can shift a car w/o the clutch but you have to wait for the input and output rpms to match exactly before it'll go in gear.

Oh don't get me wrong... I'm not saying you can snap through gears in a wheelie whenever you feel like it.... I totally understand that you're saying you have to wait for the right RPM range, and I agree. All I'm saying is that "YES"... you can shift gears in a wheelie without clutch. I've done it with and without..... and without does require you to be in the right rev limit. And yes, I've done it in a car too... however downshifting a car without the clutch is a little more difficult than a bike or quad.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:32 PM
CVBOYZ.COM

Originally Posted by CVBz
Oh don't get me wrong... I'm not saying you can snap through gears in a wheelie whenever you feel like it.... I totally understand that you're saying you have to wait for the right RPM range, and I agree. All I'm saying is that "YES"... you can shift gears in a wheelie without clutch. I've done it with and without..... and without does require you to be in the right rev limit. And yes, I've done it in a car too... however downshifting a car without the clutch is a little more difficult than a bike or quad.
I think that is what he's saying ya freak

Old 07-15-2004, 06:52 PM

mxquadracer is an unknown quantity at this point

alright like said you do have to be in the general range of rpm's that's all I'm saying...I didn't mean the exact right spot but the gap isn't terribly large, and yes you can break your case off of it I've done it twice...that's basically all anyone else said. I didn't mean you had to hit the absolute perfect rpm but there is a range you gotta hit, (I was cracking and tired)
Old 07-15-2004, 07:35 PM

sixtwojew is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah there is a fine "sweetspot" u must over come, for instance u must get it high enuff so when u let off and shift your not to low to power out of the wheelie..know what i mean?

J
Old 07-15-2004, 10:31 PM

Thumbs up Re: shifting while wheelieing

thanks guys, i think im just gonna keep practicin wheeling in 1st and 2nd for now till i can ride em good enough to shift. Im gettin better at it though
Old 07-15-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by sixtwojew
Yeah there is a fine "sweetspot" u must over come, for instance u must get it high enuff so when u let off and shift your not to low to power out of the wheelie..know what i mean?

J

Do you even know how to wheelie? Seems to me you broke a leg trying some dumbass power wheelie. Just fuking with ya buddy..... you're still my boy Blue!

Quick Reply: shifting while wheelieing