www.core6.net
www.TeachTrix.net
Boston, Massachusetts

It's official - I'm an idiot!

Old 06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

silent1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry It's official - I'm an idiot!

So maybe a week ago, I changed the oil on my bike. It's the easiest thing in the world to do - 10 minute job at best - but somehow I manage to f*ck up nonetheless. Today I go to show someone the bike, and after it was sitting for about 5 minutes, I notice a small drop of oil. After a while, that little spot got a little bigger, so I knew it was from my bike. I get home and I try to tighten the bolt, but I can only get it so tight before it goes loose (loose enough to take the bolt off with my fingers). At the tightest point I can get it, it is too tight to loosen with my fingers, but not nearly as tight as I tightened it last time.

Yeah yeah, I should've used a torque wrench. And yeah I forgot to throw on one of those washers. But what do I do now?

The worst part is that I probably f*cked up the sale because of it.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 PM

Buick will become famous soon enough
Re: It's official - I'm an idiot!

You should've blamed the AM radio. That's what I have learned to do now. They ask you what that drop of oil is you tell them that it was the AM radio.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's not a big deal. Drill it out and re-tap it with the next size bolt / thread up. You may need to pull the oil pan off the bike to do so.... you don't want shaving's to end up in the engine.

That is one option or you can buy another oil pan / bolt and just replace. Oh, and if you decide to pull the pan off, make sure you buy a new gasket or take your time removing the stock one. Once that gasket is torn, it's no good.

Brian
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 PM

LOL. God is being evil to me right now. First, he sends me a girl who wants to hookup with me at the wedding I was at last weekend, only to hide her a few hours later (I didn't remember her name or room number). And now I *finally* found someone interested in my bike, and this **** happens.

Goddammit!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:32 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person

Originally Posted by silent1
LOL. God is being evil to me right now. First, he sends me a girl who wants to hookup with me at the wedding I was at last weekend, only to hide her a few hours later (I didn't remember her name or room number). And now I *finally* found someone interested in my bike, and this **** happens.

Goddammit!
Don't feel bad, God hates me too.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:27 PM

Brian, how do I go about re-tapping it?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point

here is what I would do.....

pull the whole pan off. Throw it unto a vice or something that can hold the pan steady. Figure out what size the hole is and buy the next size up drill bit and tap kit. Maybe you can find a tap in the exact size you need to save you some $$. I'm not sure exactly how much a whole kit would be but it may be a good investment anyway. So now you need to drill out the old threads and start clean. The tap tool looks sort of like a drill bit but it has small cutting slots (used to make threads) and you hand twist the tool into the freshly drilled hole. You will see that the tool actually cuts the metal and makes new threads. Cross reference the tap thread type/size with a bolt and whaalaa!!

Here is what a tap looks like. I am sure you can pick it up at Home Depot or Sears for cheap money. A local hardware store should have some too.

here is one at Sear for $19.99

Good Luck,
Brian
Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 AM

ftrain is a decent person

I just did it on my tractor but it was much harder since it was the sparkplug hole. I had to retap it and then insert a keensert.

Before doing any of that back out the screw and make sure it is not the thread on the screws that are stripped. Autopart stores also sell a slightly larger thread and washer. That is what I used on the jeep when I stripped my oil pan.

If you decide to re-tap it. Then pull out the oil plug, retap to the next larger diameter, insert a keensert which is very similar to a helicoil, that will reduce the thread size back to stock size, then flush it with some engine oil. The tap I use is magnetic and grabs most of the shaving. Since it is such a larger diameter hole you are taping it works with a socket wrench. The one Brian showed is for smaller diameter holes. Once it is all taped and keensert set you should flush it with oil. Remember the drain is at the lowest point so when you flush it nice and slowly any small shaving will come right out that hole.

After reading what Brian posted I like his method of taking the pan off much better since you can tap it on the workbench, make sure the tap flush, and you can remove all the shavings but it is just a little more work.

If it was me and I was keeping the bike I would use Brians method and use 45 minutes of my time. If I was in a rush and selling the bike I would do my method and be done in 10 minutes.

Last edited by ftrain; 06-02-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM

jimmyjammer is an unknown quantity at this point

JB weld. Then never change the oil.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough

Heli Coil!
Old 06-02-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Carnes
Heli Coil!
That's what I'm gonna do. If the weather holds up today, I'll drop it off after work.