Core6 Photo Gallery
www.core6.net
www.TeachTrix.net
Boston, Massachusetts

Donate unused CPU cycles to beat the hell out of cancer!

Old 11-25-2003, 04:39 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

silent1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Donate unused CPU cycles to beat the hell out of cancer!

For those that haven't heard of this: scientists have a good idea what they are looking for when it comes to the cure for cancer, but there are some many calculations that need to be made to find the cure that even their super computers will take tens of years to find the cure. So with distributed processing, you are telling your machine to take its spare CPU cycles and process the cure for cancern with them instead of essentially wasting them for nothing.

I'm a very avid and **** person about my computer's performance, and especially hate CPU hogs (programs that demand CPU power and won't give it up for other apps). I don't know about other distributed projects, but United Devices' cure for cancer project's plug-in is absolutely perfect about not taking any of your computer's performance away from you... it only takes what your computer is literally throwing away. And seriously.. 98% of the time, most people's computers only use about 1-5% of their CPU cycles.

So what a lot of message boards and other online communities have started to do is form teams that compete with other distributed computing project teams. They even award prizes- which the amount of processing power your team contributes will directly effect your odds.

I seriously think this would be a great way for Stuntlife to contribute to a very worthy cause in the community. I have it setup on both my PC at home and at work.

The cure for cancer program is especially nice- it hides in your system tray and only takes what would otherwise be wasted in terms of CPU cycles. If you are curious you can even watch a very pretty (and I'm sure very technical if I had any clue what it was doing) diagram showing the particular strand of DNA, atoms, and electrons that your computer is calculating at that moment.

This is a worthwhile thing to do, and is a good alternative to sending a check. If you've ever lost loved ones to cancer, you should appreciate this effort. You can download the program here: http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm Follow the rest of the directions on the site, and you're all set.

I will talk to Greg and see if I can make this a sticky on all the boards, or at least on the Open Discussion forum. Then maybe we can create a Stuntlife team and help fight cancer together.

Last edited by silent1; 11-25-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:54 AM

jimmyjammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds kinda fishy
Old 11-26-2003, 08:21 AM

ftrain is a decent person
Smells kind of fishy
Old 11-26-2003, 08:35 AM

jimmyjammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Must be fishy then!!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
def smells fishy. So some scientist is gonna tap into my CPU? EFF THAT!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:08 AM

Nobody is "tapping into your computer". When are using your PC, it's not running at 100% the entire time. Distributing computing takes advantage of this by shifting the load around to various nodes in order to complete tasks more efficiently. It runs in the background and you don't notice.

If you don't want to run it, that's cool. But stop saying dumb **** when you don't understand how the software works.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:21 AM

slinky750 is a decent person
i've heard of this being done before, but it was used with i think nasa and their big satelite that receives all the weird radio waves and other junk coming from space....it would use your CPU to help dicifer the information since there was so much of it the companys computer couldnt handle it....didnt slow down the computer or anything like that...would pop up a prety cool screen saver showing all the data that was being received and stuff....so i dont think its bogus....and my father has cancer (in remission)and my grandmother died from cancer. so i'm definately gonna look into it and not just jump to a conclusion that its bogus. it may be but why not research it first...it could be a very good cause
Old 11-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Originally posted by silent1
If you don't want to run it, that's cool. But stop saying dumb **** when you don't understand how the software works.
Shaddup.... u have no clue either. So you're saying my computer will technically be online all the time, part of a power grid, and being used (in the background) by another organization? That sounds to me like someone is gonna be using my CPU. YES, THAT IS WHAY I CALL TAPPING INTO YOUR MACHINE!! Piggy back this Are you serious Cam?

THIS SOUNDS LIKE BIG BROTHER!! This is just another device the government can use to track what you're doing. If you don't think so.... you're ignorant.

Lata,
Bri
Old 11-26-2003, 02:48 PM

slinky750 is a decent person
Originally posted by Brian_C6
Shaddup.... u have no clue either. So you're saying my computer will technically be online all the time, part of a power grid, and being used (in the background) by another organization? That sounds to me like someone is gonna be using my CPU. YES, THAT IS WHAY I CALL TAPPING INTO YOUR MACHINE!! Piggy back this Are you serious Cam?

THIS SOUNDS LIKE BIG BROTHER!! This is just another device the government can use to track what you're doing. If you don't think so.... you're ignorant.

Lata,
Bri
i talked to a couple of the IT guys here...they've used programs like this..its legit..but once they have access to the CPU..what else can they gain acess to?...i definately would like to help out the fight for cancer..but i think i'm gonna look for another way.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:49 PM

Brian. if you don't want to install this software, that's your choice. I can't tell what and not to run on your machine, and I'm not about to waste my precious time debating the issue with you. I made the information available... you choose what you want to do with it.

Just remember that when someone close to you is diagnosed with cancer, you had the opportunity to help in an insignificant way but chose not to.

Have a nice holiday.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

whoa.... Cam getting all serious.

First of all, I've had many people close to me diagnosed with cancer... but that is besides the point. My argument does not have anything to with supporting cancer research. I was simply stating that THIS technology involves someone using MY machine without MY control. First you proceed to insulted me by telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about and then further "attempt" to humiliate me by implying that I don't give a **** about cancer research.

I am simply stating the facts and informing people of the possibilities that you've introduced.

Whatever Man,
Bri

PS. Cancer sux .... Sex sells

Last edited by Brian_C6; 11-26-2003 at 03:28 PM.