www.core6.net
www.TeachTrix.net
Boston, Massachusetts

Suggestions for Flooding

Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestions for Flooding

I came home last night and had signs of flooding in my cellar already. This weekend will be interesting unless I do something. Anyone have any suggestions? Snowblowing the snow away from the house? Putting down plastics? etc?

HELP!!

Lata,
Bri
Old 02-20-2003, 11:09 AM

IMR-MIKE is an unknown quantity at this point
heh

inflatable boat, one oar, a midget and a nine Iron.
All the bare essentials to survive a flood

~mike
Old 02-20-2003, 11:14 AM

ftrain is a decent person
Soggy socks

Yes remove the snow from around the foundation and make some small drange ditches int eh snow for the water to move away from your house. Most basements leak when the ground is frozen or saturated and the water has not way to drain away from the foundation.
There are tons of ways to deal with flooding. First question is how much does it flood and from where (cracks in the foundation???). Is your basement finished??? I grew up with a finished basement that always leaked. Each year we would try something else to fix it. The most effective solutions are to route you rain water from the gutter away from the house. Home depot sells these plastic hoses that are 4” in diameter that attach to the end of the leader near the ground. You can unroll the hose about 10’ from your house. Also make sure the grade of the ground is going away from the foundation. The best solution that finally fixed the leak was the rip down the paneling and seal the foundation. This took a weekend but after filling the cracks and sealing the entire foundation from inside, the basement never leaked. My parent’s basement has been leak free for about 10 years.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:14 PM

superchicken is an unknown quantity at this point
ftrains dead on, I have a temp fix going in my basement where the concrete has a drainage ditch around the foundation dumping it into the sump pump.

IF you don't have a sump pump getting the snow away and sloping the ground away from your foundation is key.

Chris
Old 02-20-2003, 11:55 PM

Shannon_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
If I were you Bri I would call a qualified PLUMER. I dont know of any but good luck! Finding a PLUMER that is quailfied and dependable is not easy these days! .

OHHH Yeah I know one. I think he lives in Ashland!