Finished my bike, finally got pics..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuscat is an unknown quantity at this point
Finished my bike, finally got pics..

Alright guys as you all probably remember I had been working on my frame & swingarm. I broke the bike all down and welded in reinforcements. Then had it sandblasted and painted. The original thread with pics of the frame work is here: https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/13-xr50-minibike-forums/90327-stripped-frame-help-mount.html

Modifications:

Reinforced neck, subframe lower & subframe tail section.
Added frame braces from neck support to top engine mount.
Relocated Key to left side engine mount hole.
Replaced stock air box with Twin Air foam filter.
Switched stock main jet in carb to #60 & tuned carb.
Painted frame, swing arm, fork uppers & tripple Metalic Rust.
Painted engine left & right crankcase covers black.
Painted stock plastics black.
Recovered the seat.
Added a rear left side stunt peg.

Well I got everything back from the painters and reassembled the bike last weekend. The paint was supposed to be a Kandy Metalic Orange, but it turned out darker then what I had expected, more of a Metalic Rust. At first I wasn't too sure about it but the more I seen it and worked with it the more I liked it and now that its all said and done it looks awesome I totally dig it. I have been having computer issues so I couldn't upload the pics until last night so here it goes:

Here is the engine and frame being fitted up for the frame brace supports:

I also added some home-made fork stiffeners to the fork lowers. I used 5/8" cold roll steel hex. I had to grind off about a 1/16" on each hex point to get it to fit snug then pounded them into place.

Here is the frame, swingarm & upper fork tubes after they were painted:

Here is how the paint looks in the sunlight its alot shinier in the light:

Putting it all back together:

After I saw the color of the frame I realized that the red plastics just wouldn't go with it at all. I can't afford the actual black plastics yet but didn't want it to look all retarded and out of place so I decided to go the krylon route with them. I bought the new Krylon Fusion for plastics and man it works GOOD! They turned out real well:

I also knew the red on the stock seat wasn't going to cut it either so I went ahead and recovered it. I had my wife pick up some black vinyl for me at the fabric store and I recovered it it turned out real well also:

When it was all said and done here is what I ended up with for a final product:

here is the before:

and after:

:YEAH :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH
Old 10-01-2004, 11:15 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

adamf4i is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Finished my bike, finally got pics..

cool man looks like you put some time into it but looks pretty clean and nice
Old 10-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Regular StuntLifer

yea took about 2 weeks total.. longer then I wanted it too but I was healing from the 5ft drop me and Mike took hahah so I wasn't gonna be riding it much anyway.. what sucks is I had only been riding it for like 2 months and was just getting the hang of wheelies and then took the two weeks off so now my skillz are gahbage again :/

where at in sugar creek you live?? I live right off sterling & truman..
Old 10-01-2004, 11:18 AM

kstone is an unknown quantity at this point

looks man, good job, really god job!

:YEAH :YEAH
Old 10-01-2004, 11:20 AM

kstone is an unknown quantity at this point

i like how the seat turned out aswell, was it hard to recover? and what did you use to tack it on?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:25 AM

within a few blocks of 24 and sterling
Old 10-01-2004, 11:34 AM
50 NUT

reynolds_brad is an unknown quantity at this point

really clean job. i like the attention to detail.
BR
Old 10-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally Posted by adamf4i
within a few blocks of 24 and sterling

damn your right down the street. we need to hook up you got any cool places to ride over there? I don't really have many places im in kind of a bad spot surrounded by main streets within a couple blocks all the way around me.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM

sean94z is an unknown quantity at this point

damn, that looks awesome man. I wish you lived near me I would pay you to reinforce my frame like that, looks nice and strong.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Regular StuntLifer

thanks fellas I appreciate the words!

kstone, I won't lie it wasn't exactly easy. I never recovered or apholsterd anything before so it was a challenge. I used the stock seat pan & foam and some vinyl from the fabric store and 6mm staples for my staple gun. the stock and aftermarket covers are probably easier because the make a flap for the horn part of the seat that is sewn on. (hard to explain but if you take off your stock cover you will see what I mean) That piece makes it alot easier I am sure, but obviously my cover doesn't have that. There was alot of stapling then stretching (not real hard just taught) to get it centered and clean. I had to keep pulling and restapling as I went around to get all the wrinkles and bunches out. Took me prolly an hour & 10, hour & 20 minutes to finish it but it turned out kick ***!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:55 AM

NOOOOOOO you dont want to ride over here i got a c and r doin a wheelie a couple weeks ago but we can ride together some time i should have a new fiddy group forum section up by this weekend it will be midwest stunters name but hopefully what it does is gets everyone around here and kansas city area to get together and stunt some 50's lol
Old 10-01-2004, 01:06 PM

DoubleR Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Lookout Orange County Choppers.......

I like that frame color.....looks good, looks clean.......nice job.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:14 PM

900 Fury is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah very nice, I must say I am jealous. I really dig the color and that thing is gonna be BOMBPROOF!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:21 PM

so was that tough to do id like to do that during this fall / winter time does it seem like the paint is gonna hold up
Old 10-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Regular StuntLifer

hell yea the paint is Auto paint for cars **** cost me $40 for a pint and the painter did 3 coats! I don't think it will ever come off!

Nah it wasn't really tough to do. I'll admit I was a tad scared after I took the bike all a part and it was all laying in a pile of parts hahah wasn't sure if I would get it all back together right but It went back just fine.

The dissassembly/reassembly was easy. The welding for the supports wasn't real hard my pops said but hes a kick *** welder so.. I can do ok with a welder but I didn't wanna **** anything up so I let him go at the frame. It only took us about an hour to fab and weld the supports in and finish them off.

The sandblasting and frame paint work a buddy of mine that I ride street bikes with hooked me up for trade all I had to do was buy the paint. (I got lucky here my riding buddy works in a shop so he had access to the sand blaster and his brother is a car painter and wanted to shoot my frame for practice he put like 6 hours in on the paint) Just goes to show its good to know people. I traded off sandblasting/painting for me working on thier computers..

The fork stiffeners weren't too bad just had to find something that would fit. The seat was a challenge. When I painted the plastics I figured it would run and cause problems but that went flawless. The hardest part was tuning the carb after making the jetting and filter changes. I was gettin scared it was running to rich and bogging out from 0 to 1/4 throttle and I almost had it I took the needle out and looked and only had one clip notch left. I moved it and adjusted the airscrew and bam it worked great! I was getting pissed..

The frame stiffeners were kind of a pain too getting the right bolt and the right amount of spacers to clear everything and still be able to use the choke. Finally got it figured out. I never have used the choke I am thinking about buying that little piece from joker machine that gets rid of it and seals it off.. supposed to make the airflow better with less leakage or something..

The only thing that didn't turn out is the left & right engine covers. Now the paint has already rubbed off from my boot on both covers and wrinkled under the heat on the right side. This really bummed me out the **** didn't even last a day before wear marks were showing and I used Dupli-Color engine enamal. I have decided to forget about it for now I will just powder coat them this winter and be done with it.

All in all it was pretty straight forward. It was a lot of fun to do .. Wish I could do **** like that and get paid for it.. the fifty is super friendly to work on.

I just need to do a couple more things and I will be happy. The actual black plastics i will be getting soon. I'd like to get black anodized engine dress up kit for the valve cover/side cover deals and the black anodized dipstick and inline fuel filter and the black anodized wheel hubs. Someday some billitts would be sick but I just can't justify $300 for wheels for the fiddy.. I understand they are not easy to make but aren't most cnc cuts programs? they just set it up the first time then throw the chunks in there and let the machine do it.. come on $300+ for that?! I'm sure theres alot more to it but damn that price is just out of reach..
Old 10-02-2004, 03:48 AM

suzukirider03 is an unknown quantity at this point

that **** looks tight man.. i plan on paintin mine this winter sometime.. maybe u could get ur hookup to hook me up too.. im gettin sick of my stock look.. i want somethin wild..
Old 10-02-2004, 07:32 AM

lol it does get boring lookin that is the same as to why im changin my looks
Old 10-04-2004, 02:21 PM

cbxr50 is an unknown quantity at this point

like the paint!!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Thanks guys! now if only I could stunt as good as the bike looks id really have something!

50ccChick, yup I live about a mile from there right down truman rd!

Quick Reply: Finished my bike, finally got pics..