Ticket on Fifty Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 07:43 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ishc54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Curtis929
Hopefully I come out clean I will post my results on the 25 is my court date.
Good luck bro
Old 04-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Regular StuntLifer

SpeedyCycles is an unknown quantity at this point
In my state (Missouri) a 49cc motorcycle/moped/scooter does not have to be licensed and you do not insure them. We have a helmet law, EXCEPT 49cc vehicles. One of our dealers has a tag instead of a license plate that states "49cc's do not need licensure or insurance" I *thought* TX was the same way. I don't think you have to license an 49cc bike.

FWIW. I would call your DMV or look up in the TX MSF motorcycle manual.

Frank
Old 04-10-2003, 01:07 PM
sk8

sk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by SpeedyCycles
In my state (Missouri) a 49cc motorcycle/moped/scooter does not have to be licensed and you do not insure them. We have a helmet law, EXCEPT 49cc vehicles. One of our dealers has a tag instead of a license plate that states "49cc's do not need licensure or insurance" I *thought* TX was the same way. I don't think you have to license an 49cc bike.

FWIW. I would call your DMV or look up in the TX MSF motorcycle manual.

Frank
In Colorado, they do not have to be licensed or insured, but they do have to have a moped decal. You also must possess a moped license.

Again, if the bike has this sticker, you are subject to all traffic laws and thus all the normal tickets.

I would claim that the bike is nothing more than a "dirt" bike and say you were test riding it up the street. The only type of offenses they should be able to hit you with are the "off highway vehicle used on open highway" type stuff.

Do not register the bike or use the 49cc rule as a defense. Simply state that you have been improperly ticketed for the wrong offense and you will walk. Research the specific laws about off-highway vehicles. They will tell you what you can and cannot be cited for. I still do not believe you can be cited for any type of traffic offenses, especially moving violations.

Call a lawyer, and ask. This should be something pretty simple. Get some free advise.