vegas vid questions, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:44 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
vegas vid questions, please help

1-->i have vegas video 3.0. can i change the speed of the clip halfway through the clip or do i have to splice two parts of a clip together at diffrent speeds(what i'm doing now)? if i can change speed mid clip how do i do that???

2--> another question, i was playing around trying to enlarge and pan the video but i couldn't get it work right, i think there is a way but i just don't know how. how do i do this??

3-->a third question i thought of. can i cut out part of a video clip, like say i want just the rider against a background, can i do this, how??

final question is is vegas video 4.0 that much better and if so could someone hook me up. thanks........TED
Old 07-14-2003, 10:50 PM

AlexF4i is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: vegas vid questions, please help

Originally posted by OWA.TED
1-->i have vegas video 3.0. can i change the speed of the clip halfway through the clip or do i have to splice two parts of a clip together at diffrent speeds(what i'm doing now)? if i can change speed mid clip how do i do that???
I can answer your first question. If you right click inside the video clip and choose 'insert/remove velocity envelope' it will put a line across the whole clip. that line represents Normal speed. Now right click on the line(you should see a finger pointing insead of the arrow) and 'add points'. add those points where you want the clip to slow down or speed up. After the 'point' is added, you should see a little square on the 'velocity line'. Just click and drag that square Down to slow down, or up to speed the video back up. When you click and drag it should also give you a percentage you are slowing down. Bring back to 100% for normal speed.

Hope this helps you out and maybe someone else on here can answer the other questions for you.

PS- if anyone has a copy of Vegas 4, i'd like it too.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:34 AM

Veggie Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: vegas vid questions, please help

2--> another question, i was playing around trying to enlarge and pan the video but i couldn't get it work right, i think there is a way but i just don't know how. how do i do this??
In what way doesn't it work?

3-->a third question i thought of. can i cut out part of a video clip, like say i want just the rider against a background, can i do this, how??
I believe that would be a 'rotoscope' plugin, which isn't available for Vegas yet, but someone is supposed to be working on it

You could try creating a second clip, that's then modified using the brightness/contrast and black and white plugins (and possibly the colour correction ones, too) so that you get a black and white clip that you can then chroma key to create a mask

If that doesn't work, then you're looking at exporting each frame into something like photoshop and doing each frame manually
Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 AM

In what way doesn't it work?
what i was trying to do actually was make it so there were strips of video on the screen, like in the fabolous-you can't deny it music video, thats what i couldn't do, guess i'm really not trying to enlarge it but crop? out a part of the picture so it's only a strip or little square on the screen. i think they also use this in the ftp3 video...........TED

i'll get a screen shot later tonight
Old 07-15-2003, 12:29 PM

Nefarious can only hope to improve
for the record rotoscoping is minipulating images frame by frame, be it in photoshop or something like after f/x or combustion.... which is what I would leave the video composting stuff to. While vegas and the like can do it, its not its strong point.
Either AFX or Comb will let you draw and animates a mask bewteen frames, with great ease and flexibitity. The Keyframe asst in both are also great for pans and exponental zooms
Old 07-15-2003, 12:59 PM

this is correct put u have to actually add 4 points on the line.......one to keep it at the original velocity (place that point at the end of the original velocity) one to move the velocity where u want (plasce that point at the beginning of the change in velocity) one opint to end the new velocity (place that at the last frame of the video section that u wanted to run at a different velocity) then the 4th point at the spot ehrre u wanna return to yer original velocity.(place that at the frame u want to go back to original velocity)

thats kinda what i thought after i read that, but i can put as many points on as i want right?

hey sclevela, whats your im name? pm it to me or something.....TED
Old 07-15-2003, 02:08 PM

Veggie Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
what i was trying to do actually was make it so there were strips of video on the screen, like in the fabolous-you can't deny it music video, thats what i couldn't do, guess i'm really not trying to enlarge it but crop? out a part of the picture so it's only a strip or little square on the screen.
Okay - all you need to do is click on the pan/crop icon on the clip (the square) when it's in the time line. This brings up another window where you simply drag the edges of the clip around until you get it to the size you want. Then click and drag the middle of the new crop lines to put the clip where you want it on the screen

Make sure you haven't got 'Sync Curser' clicked unless you want the cropped clip to move to where you put it

Also unclick Stretch To Fill Frame if you just want to crop. You can also hold down the CTRL key when resizing the clip for more control
Old 07-15-2003, 06:06 PM

-Baker- is an unknown quantity at this point
this is amuzing....3 years i have used this program and I couldn't ask any questions to anyone. Vegas is a program that has no limits to your imagination.

Scott has gotten really good at it....let me tell ya. His sleepless nights I hear about and its payed off so far and he still hasn't hit any limits yet.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:28 PM

-Baker- is an unknown quantity at this point
lol. Scott you have done well and your help to others is great. I try to help, but I get way too many emails and PM's and NO time to help.

I'm working on another video about 4-5 min with 2 ladies from www.SBFGirls.com I hope to have this one done this week since i'm on vacation.