Learning circles, any tips? Funny crash too!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice
Learning circles, any tips? Funny crash too!

Just now started trying circles last week, this is a clip from yesterday's short practice. I kept stalling so I turned the idle down halfway through the vid, thats when I started to whip it around better, still cant get the turn though... Any tips?

oh yeah, about the crash thing, I was headed towards the truck and so I thought I was higher and tried to step off

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z_J56rl76Aw
Old 02-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice
Re: Learning circles, any tips? Funny crash too!

well guess I cant embed it, so theres the link.

Also, I'm doing them foot in bar if that helps any, any help is appreciated
Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person

lean to the left more? and pull toward ur left shoulder maybe
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 PM

apfire26 will become famous soon enough

Good start, I'm a little past that step now.
When it starts to fall give it a little gas, keep your front end high and dip. Some advice will help, but it really just takes tons of practise.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 PM

yeah, thats what I figured lol. I need to get over the fear of giving it gas lol, I've already started to slip the clutch, but I really think I need to start giving it gas.

so when I blip the throttle, its gonna straighten back up? then I dip it again? kind of like a gas brake dip gas brake dip type thing?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 PM

SliverR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a HB then SS are probably the easiest to learn. I was in the same boat as you last year for a month or two with foot in the seat. Just keep at it and it'll click. If your on idle only you have to be supper smooth on the brake. One of the threads I was reading when learning that helped was to try and anticapate the next move.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Beto
yeah, thats what I figured lol. I need to get over the fear of giving it gas lol, I've already started to slip the clutch, but I really think I need to start giving it gas.

so when I blip the throttle, its gonna straighten back up? then I dip it again? kind of like a gas brake dip gas brake dip type thing?

Well.........when the front end starts to drop, thats when you want to give it gas to bring it back up. You have to dip while giving it gas, otherwise you'll highside.
I'm no expert, i'm getting 5 circles on my very best days and I average about 2. So I still need a lot of help too.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SliverR6
If you have a HB then SS are probably the easiest to learn. I was in the same boat as you last year for a month or two with foot in the seat. Just keep at it and it'll click. If your on idle only you have to be supper smooth on the brake. One of the threads I was reading when learning that helped was to try and anticapate the next move.
Thats what I heard so I tried em in SS the other day, felt way too weird though, I keep getting freaked out and eventually jump off before I even dip

yeah I really do need to work on being smoother on the brake!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by apfire26
Well.........when the front end starts to drop, thats when you want to give it gas to bring it back up. You have to dip while giving it gas, otherwise you'll highside.
I'm no expert, i'm getting 5 circles on my very best days and I average about 2. So I still need a lot of help too.
that makes sense, I'm just gonna have to man up and go for it next time I'm out riding then.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Yeah, just keep practising. As for ss, thats the way I've been practising circles lately. Once I got over the fear of dipping them in, its much more comfortable to practise that why. IMO
Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

you're to heavy on the brake and you're not dipping it in enough
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM

CIX J.J. is a decent person

Yeah, blippin the throttle and slippin the clutch helps,but I finally figured out that usin the handlebars makes a big difference. When you turn the handlebars into the circle, the bike will dip, and when you turn the handlebars out, the bike will straighten up. If you watch the good guys, they really make good use of the handlebars.

As for the ss thing, everybody told me seatstanders were way easier, but I learned the good old fashioned way of foot in the bar. I'm finally gettin the ss's down, but it took me a while. I just built a ss plate, that bolts where the front seat and the tail plastic does. It's super nice cause any input from your feet goes directly into the wheelie.

Also, depending on how tall you are, you might want to cut a hole in your passenger seat. It may feel a lot more comfortable than standing in the bar, and comfort = O's.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM

CIX J.J. is a decent person

Yep, I watched it again and you should definitely turn the hb's in, then use em to put the bike where you want it. It's hard bro, jsut keep practicin. It took me almost 2 years to get em down and now they're old hat.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..........But don't forget about other **** too. looks like you'll be a stallin SOB in a couple weeks.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

1st things 1st. ur not gonna get anywhere till you get your idle right, youre comming in too hot and and too incosistant to learn circles. i cant see from this video how you ride idle but u really need to have a good rythm with the brake to keep it smooth. turn that idle down some more and come in to the circle on the brake. as it falls over to the left and feels like its gonna start to stall out let off the brake. youll figure out the body position eventually on your own, its constant adjustment and theirs not one thing ur gonna do that someone can tell you thats gonna fix your circles. the key is to be smooth. i can go into circles with the bars turned whatever way i want, what really matters is youre weight distribution on your feet. but thats getting ahead of things, come in slower and be smoother that will lead to learn body positioning. u should be able to get around a few times on idle alone without having to even touch the gas if you are smooth on the brake.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Jim CrashoBazzi

imafrogg420 is a decent person

ggooooddd i can't wait for warm weather to start trying!!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Jim CrashoBazzi

and actualy after watchign some videos jsut now alot of people do the opposite of what you said CIX JJ. they turn there wheel the opposite way of their circle. for example this vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3DhRQu70A&feature=related
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

bring it a little farther back. Personally I think your idle is fine. Your body positioning is all wrong.

you have you to dip it way harder if you come in hot.

force the bike down. come in behind bp. once you get comfy and ready to go into the circle, let almost all the way off the brake and pull the right clip on towards you and down (counter steering while doing this makes it easier) to shove it into the circle...it will wnat to come out of the circle...and jsut keep doing the same thing.

remember... keep the bike underneath you.

its hard to explain. buy some right side rear sets.

and when you drop the front end of the bike, pull back on the bars so the front end doesn't slam down so hard.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by imafrogg420
and actualy after watchign some videos jsut now alot of people do the opposite of what you said CIX JJ. they turn there wheel the opposite way of their circle. for example this vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3DhRQu70A&feature=related
IMO your right. its definetly the opposite of what 2 guys above said.

watch any ac farias vid.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Jim CrashoBazzi

yea watch AC, Teach,Kane any of those guys its definatly opposite

welcome to stuntlife were squids tell other squids how to do things they dont know how to do hah
Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Squid Extradoinaire

kane ive actually seen do ss flamingo with the bars the opposite way in videos. its weird.

Quick Reply: Learning circles, any tips? Funny crash too!