This breaks my heart: Worcester's Vietnam memorial vandalized

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 04:12 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person
This breaks my heart: Worcester's Vietnam memorial vandalized

September 5, 2004

WORCESTER, Mass. -- Police are investigating vandalism to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Vandals sometime Friday night or Saturday morning spray-painted three of the five pillars that list the names of the more than 1,500 Massachusetts men and one woman who died in the Vietnam War.

Gary J. Vecchio, a member of the city's parks commission, said it would be difficult to remove the paint from the names, which are carved into the rock.

Vandals spray-painted another pillar that contained a letter home from a soldier who was killed in 1966.

Mayor Timothy P. Murray, who arrived at the park shortly after being notified of the damage, called the vandalism "despicable."

Murray wanted the site cleaned before veterans and other visitors arrived over the extended Labor Day weekend.

Police were investigating whether the vandalism might be gang-related.

The term "Braz Boyz" was spray-painted in red on at least three of the stones. Symbols were painted on one pillar and words, including "Ecuador," were painted on another stone.

Police told Murray that the "tags" -- referring to identifiable gang graffiti -- did not match what they know of genuine gang markings and it was determined the vandalism was not connected to gang activity.

The memorial, on a four-acre site at Green Hill Park, is hosted by the city. The effort to build the memorial started in Boston and moved toward Worcester in 1989, when the city indicated it would like to be the site of the memorial. It was built and dedicated in June 2002.

"This is a disgrace. It's like vandalizing a cemetery," Vecchio told the Telegram & Gazette of Worcester.

© Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

This is ****ing disgusting, I would love nothing more than to find these ****s and teach them a lesson. I can't wait to get out and become a Street-vigilante. Oh 2 years can't come fast enough.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:15 AM

l3eerhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This breaks my heart: Worcester's Vietnam memorial vandalized

Can't even say anything about this.. not many things **** you off to the point of no words, but this is one of them. Hopefully they catch the bastards.