XtreemeMotorsports.com Upstate NY

Blew up my Tranny today!!!!

Old 05-31-2004, 03:12 PM

Kitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Blew up my Tranny today!!!!

yup....Think I blew the transmission today.....yipppeee......welcome to the Jeep world
Old 05-31-2004, 05:27 PM

Re: Blew up my Tranny today!!!!

ok....here is how it happened...if anyone has any suggestions....feel free to lend me your advice.

I was driving on the street...and I started to accelerate (after already driving all morning). It felt like I was in neutral when I steped on the gas. I indeed was in drive. (I have an automatic by the way),.
I tried 2nd....same thing....then 1st...same thing.....I then noticed smoke puring out of the side. I pulled over and put in in park. At that point I heard grinding (like if you put a manual into gear without having the clutch all the way in. I left a trail of tranny fluid about 20 feet behind me. I think the smoke was just coming from the fluid dripping on the exaust. I checked the tranny fluid on the dip stick....and there was what seemed to be an adequete amount on that. I towed it home. I then started it and pulled it forward and back a couple times and it seemed ok....but THAT IS IT!!! I didn't drive it at all.
Sooooo......any thoughts? Blown Line? Blown transmission
Old 06-01-2004, 08:32 AM

slinky750 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Kitty
ok....here is how it happened...if anyone has any suggestions....feel free to lend me your advice.

I was driving on the street...and I started to accelerate (after already driving all morning). It felt like I was in neutral when I steped on the gas. I indeed was in drive. (I have an automatic by the way),.
I tried 2nd....same thing....then 1st...same thing.....I then noticed smoke puring out of the side. I pulled over and put in in park. At that point I heard grinding (like if you put a manual into gear without having the clutch all the way in. I left a trail of tranny fluid about 20 feet behind me. I think the smoke was just coming from the fluid dripping on the exaust. I checked the tranny fluid on the dip stick....and there was what seemed to be an adequete amount on that. I towed it home. I then started it and pulled it forward and back a couple times and it seemed ok....but THAT IS IT!!! I didn't drive it at all.
Sooooo......any thoughts? Blown Line? Blown transmission
smell the fluid...it kinda sounds like you overheated it and it puked the fluid out (been there before) if it smells burnt most likely all the clutches are burnt up and its gonna need a rebuild....after that buy a good transmission cooler, and get some lower gears to turn those bigger tires, of make sure you run around in drive instead of overdrive, a transmission likes to spin fast, it keeps it cooler, the slower you spin it and the more load you put on it the hotter it gets, then it pukes...oh yeah...tranny fluid likes to burn....my friend mike was out in cali and watch a 36ft RV catch fire and burn to the ground because it blew a tranny line and the fluid got on the exhaust.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:13 PM

BLUEYAMABOY is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW....very good slink! Take it from slink the man that does no maintance to his truck and has had 3 trannys!...he knows what burnt tranny fluid smells like......ask him when is the last time he checked or changed his oil!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 PM

hey..i'm not that far over my oilchange..and anyways i just added a fresh quart of oil to the truck
Old 06-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 67BEAST
Already has a nice external cooler.....has 4.88 gears so thats not an issue. Wrangler automatics did not get a overdrive untill like '02 or '03
so just a bad tranny?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 AM

looks as though I just got some water in there....lines look fine.....so I am going to flush and fill it today and see if that helps
Old 06-04-2004, 08:33 AM

where;s the breather tubes located on those things? from some of the pics you should equip that thing for deep water crossings...maybe put some pontunes on it
Old 06-04-2004, 08:59 PM

Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your tranny is toast. Same thing happened a few years back to my camaro.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:25 AM

kibbles is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah Jeeps I love them so .... What year is your jeep ? 87- 93 came with the french gay ****** made peugot tranny ; even with 4.88 its not mafde to handle the load ; mid 92 began a T series similar to chevy s10 ,I forget the exact name as it has been 2-3 years ,If you flush the tranny altogether and it runs you may have just blown the slave cylinder if its pre 89?(internal) save some cash and you can do a chevy tranny conversion for about 900$ plus the tranny/b sorry if thats what you dont want to hear
Old 06-05-2004, 07:55 AM

It is a '95.....I am gonna do a flush and see what that goes. After I got it home...it hasn't leaked again. I drove it around the block and it seemed ok.....but there is definetly water in the reserve. We will see though......god this will suck if I need a new Tranny.....
Old 06-05-2004, 07:56 AM

ps.......can I get a filter at Walmart...or do I have to go to a dealership...anyone know?