Driving To Endanger - DTE Photo Gallery
www.DrivingToEndanger.com
U.S.A

Shel, Rims Bro

Old 10-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shel, Rims Bro

I have been looking online for prices for these rims. I am pretty sure Ford doesn't make 18" Cobra Rims from the factory. It seems all the rims I come across are replica's enlarged from the original 17". I've seen prices from $399.00 to $237.00. I've seen companies like Dante Designs, Speedworks, and American Eagle all make this style.

American Eagle is running a special on all Chrome Rims for $237.00. Normally they sell the Cobra Replica's for $318.00.

Here's my question...
Should I think about getting the American Eagles? American Eagles seem like a "downstairs" wheel company and I don't want to buy cheap ****. Although the original retail price ($318.00) is higher than the others, Dante, Speedworks, etc. I'd rather buy a better rim for a few extra bucks. What is your take on American Eagle?

BTW, here is the link to the rims...
http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail_specs.cfm?id=71

Also, I noticed the other companies rims have a +24mm offset and these have a 23mm. Is that a big difference? Is it considered the same rim? What is the offset anyway?

Lata,
Bri
Old 10-24-2002, 05:03 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

silent1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Those would look really good on the Max.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:37 PM
POS

POS is an unknown quantity at this point
Ford made the 2000 Corbra R wheels in an 18X9 factory but there big bucks so I would stick to replicas
Old 10-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Yeah, Ford made two different Cobra R rims. The newer ones aren't as nice (I think). They don't look as deep or something. The new ones look like these....

Mine are like..

Lata,
Bri
Old 10-24-2002, 08:39 PM

keepitreel is an unknown quantity at this point
Bri, sorry i took so long to get back....but i talk to my boy and the Eagles are fine.....as long as they are chrome...i will let you know the price in the morning.

lata shel
Old 10-25-2002, 10:08 AM

Bri, what year is your car?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:26 AM

Gixxer_Princess is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by keepitreel
Bri, what year is your car?
His car is a 2000.

Figured i would answer you because he didnt already

Tara
Old 10-25-2002, 10:26 AM

pack of q tips is an unknown quantity at this point
offset is the same as back spacing its different for a front wheel drive car and a rear wheel drive car so make sure the rims you order are made for whichever you have i dont think there is much difference in a 23mm to a 24 mm 1 mm isnt very noticable
Old 10-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Originally posted by Phool
They even have a newer set of Cobra rims, the 03 cobra wheels.
My buddy picked up a set for $700 brand new.
Yeah. My car is a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I am 100% positive the Cobra Rims fit. I don't like the new Cobra rims. They look flat. The older rims have a lip / deep look to them. The new ones look flush.

Also, I'm looking at them Chromed. The silver ones I can grab for $125 / each brand new. Your buddy paid a pretty penny for those. Did he buy them from Ford? I would imagine Ford Rims would be expensive. Ford didn't make 18" Cobra Rims in the style I'm looking for. The only 18" Cobra Rims Ford manufactured look like those in your pic (newer ones). I don't like that style. Thanks for the info anyway.

Lata,
Bri
Old 10-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Here is a 98 GTP w/ Cobra R rims.

Lata,
Bri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wk122_tstoppenbach.jpg (25.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-25-2002, 11:17 AM

Bri, just talk to my hookup....he cant get the eagle 18's for your car...the bolt pattern will not match. but go to caraddons.com and see if you like any other rims they offer.

lata shel
Old 10-25-2002, 11:20 AM

bri did you see that gtp in person the rims kinda stick out it may have adapters on it and i dont really trust adpaters on car rims
Old 10-25-2002, 11:29 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future
Re: Shel, Rims Bro

Originally posted by bri_dte

Also, I noticed the other companies rims have a +24mm offset and these have a 23mm. Is that a big difference? Is it considered the same rim? What is the offset anyway?

Lata,
Bri
When I look for rims for your car they show a 35 to 42 mm offset. If you go with a different offset I think you will screw up your wheel bearings also with less offset the rims will stick out of the fenders.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:06 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Thank You everyone for hooking me up with some information. The guy who owns the GTP pictured above sent me a bunch of information on those rims. He claimed they are 18" Cobra R rims. He sent me a detailed list of modifications he made to his car upon installation. He listed out fender well modifications and suspension modifications but there was no mention of an installation kit or changing a bolt pattern. He claims the rims he bought are...

Dante Design Cobra #280
Part #280C8912
Size: 18" x 9"
Offset: 24mm
Finish: Chrome
Center Cap included

He also bought tires too.
Toyo Proxes T1-S
245/40R18

I have no idea how he got the rims to fit on his car because everyone is telling me they won't? Is this guy crazy? Or is my 2000 GTP different than his '98? I know Mustangs normally come with 4 lug bolt pattern but I guess the Cobra R's are 5. I have a 5 lug bolt pattern.

This guy also indicated the rims he bought were originally intended for RWD too. I'm not sure what the ****** deal is now. All I know is I WANT THOSE RIMS!! What the dealio!!!

Lata,
Bri
Old 10-25-2002, 01:03 PM

94 and up mustangs are 5 lug but if that guy ordered aftermarket rims he probably ordered them in the bolt pattern and offset for his car
Old 10-28-2002, 03:53 PM

SICK02R6 is an unknown quantity at this point
rims

I have a '95 GP and also was trying to put Cobra R rims on it. I know my car is a W-body and yours is different but i'm not sure if they changed the lug specs. When i contacted people about purchasing those rims they just laughed at me telling me there was no way the bolt configuration would match. They also told me that they were meant for a rear wheel drive. Not sure why that matters but anyways. Obvioulsy its somehow possible to get 'em under there but I'm clueless too. I'll tell you what the worst thing i did when trying purchasing rims was. I actaully listened to the guys I called and talked to at these rims companies. They have no clue most of the time. Everytime i would call back the same company somebody would tell me something totally different thatn what the last guy told me. Especially places like Tirerack and **** well, not alot of help but...
good luck!

-K-man
Old 10-28-2002, 04:10 PM

KASH is an unknown quantity at this point
I HAVE THE OLDER STYLE COBRA RIMS ON MY MUSTANG THEY ARE 17" IF YOU WANT TO TRY ONE TO SEE HOW IT FITS LOOKS LET ME KNOW
Old 10-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Originally posted by KASH
I HAVE THE OLDER STYLE COBRA RIMS ON MY MUSTANG THEY ARE 17" IF YOU WANT TO TRY ONE TO SEE HOW IT FITS LOOKS LET ME KNOW
Thanks for the info "both" of you guys. People keep telling me I'm an ******* for even trying this.

You're right.... these guys at rims places have no friggin clue. They open the catalog and if nothing matches up they tell you it can't be done..... ****** ROBOTS!! This is why America is going to **** right now. No one wants to know anymore than they need too.... No one wants work any harder than they have to. Everyone is so ******* comfortable being just motivated enough to get by.

How about actually doing some work and telling me why the rims won't fit.... or why it isn't a good idea..... or what the bolt patterns I even have on my car. After asking 5 companies no one could tell me what my bolt pattern I have.... they just knew a Ford rim couldn't fit on a Pontiac because the "book said so". EFFIN IDIOTS!!

Everytime I argue with these bone heads I show them this picture.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wk122_tstoppenbach.jpg (25.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-28-2002, 06:47 PM

SICK02R6 is an unknown quantity at this point
rims

pretty much anyone should be able to tell you your bolt patttern sizes. I'd call at least two places to confirm the actual size, just 'cause we both know how these guys are. I'd call like, Tirerack and maybe a local place like NTB. I think these are the two places i got my sizes from. believe me I'd never go to NTB to buy ****! Got pirelli's there and they didn't even wnat to fulfill my warranty on the tires. Had to call pirelli blah blah blah. If you got a GTP you probably already know about the site ramairtech right? they got some good **** sometimes! Pontiac rules! My bro's got a sweet loaded SLP Firehawk. F'n insane!
Later,
K-man

I just tried to go to ramairtech.com and it seemed like it was working but no merchandise would appear? usually it works

I meant to ask before, what happened to the dude that went down yesterday? I looked back and you guys had pulled over, by that time you guys were way the f back. was he with us? I was on the red 02 R6 yesterday at the mall with you guys, i'm a newby, don't know any of you guys yet. but enjoyed rollin' with you guys.

Last edited by SICK02R6; 10-28-2002 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Shel, Rims Bro